The TBI Caregiver’s Essential Workshop is developed for the people who either by choice or necessity have become a caregiver to a person with a traumatic brain injury. In some cases this may be a family member or friend, a healthcare professional, or people with a traumatic brain injury who are taking care of themselves.
The goal of this workshop is to alleviate the pressure and frustration caused by not knowing what to do next. We provide you with the tools and insights you’ll need to chart the ongoing course of care for the person with TBI. This workshop strives to avoid technical jargon and to clearly explain aspects of a brain injury and recovery in an accessible way. You do not need a formal education in neuroscience or medicine to put the material of this workshop into daily use for those to whom you provide care.
We will be presenting our workshop for 20 people in Ocotber at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Charlestown MA. October 12th and October 19th from 9am - 5 pm with registration open at 8 am each day. This is a one time free of charge event (a $1000 value) materials and refreshments will be provided
- Help transform loved ones into effective caregivers.
- Provide caregivers and survivors with a road map to recovery.
- Alleviate the pressure and frustration caused by not knowing what to do next.
- Increase the understanding of brain injury.
- Acquaint the caregiver and survivor with the medical and rehabilitation specialists they may need to engage.
- Create a mindset of success.
- Introduction & Core Elements
- Understanding Brain Injury
- Introduction to Symptoms & Sequelae
- The TBI Recovery Model
- General Interactions with TBI survivors
- Activities and Environment
- Understanding Behaviors
- Stages and Outcomes
- Summary and Next Steps
What Caregivers Will Learn
In this workshop we’ll guide you through informational material, present specialized professional information using expert videos, and will continue preparing you to take action using workshop exercises.
In this course you’ll learn about:
- The causes and occurrence of traumatic brain injury
- The symptoms and sequelae often experienced
- The names and specialties of the various medical professionals you and the person with TBI may call upon. You’ll learn when to bring a specialist into the mix, and how to provide them with the information they need to effectively treat the person with TBI, and
- The general interactions, activities, environments, and behaviors that may prove to be challenging for a person with TBI.
Tools We’ll Provide
Caregivers will be introduced to the tools we’ve developed to:
- Track the progress and challenges of the person with TBI
- Document the effect of medications, exercise, meals, and emotional interactions
- Manage the day-to-day events to determine the level of comfort and/or frustration the person with TBI may be experiencing with the world in this new state of being
And while the focus of the course materials is on improving the quality of life for the person with TBI, the course itself was developed for you, the caregiver, the advocate, protector, and lifeline of the person with TBI.
- 16 hours of instruction
- Three delivery options
- 2 day accelerated program
- A session a week for 4 weeks
- 8 week program
- Spaced Repetition
- Increases information retention
- Trained facilitator
- Asking questions promoting information uptake
- Designed to provide rapid action
- Face to face
- Fostering community through shared experience in productive activities
- Materials Includes
- Course Book, Workbook, Action Planner, John Byler's Book - "You Look Great!", Online access to resources
Here is a quick video about our TBI Caregivers Essentials Workshop